Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park
Mid-Conference Field Trip
Wednesday, December 12, 2012
Deadline to register for field trip: Saturday, December 1, 2012
(after December 1, the price will increase to $120 per person)
- $ 90 per person for conference participants/guests
- All field trips are contingent on a minimum of 25 participants
- Once the minimum participant count is met, payment will be processed.
- Those with heart or lung conditions must be aware of altitude, weather and air changes
- What To Wear: Comfortable walking/hiking shoes & long pants
- What To Bring: Light rain gear, towel, sun block, hat, at least 1 liter of water, & a camera
- Roundtrip transportation
- Healthy breakfast snacks
- Picnic lunch with beverage
- Snacks & one bottle of water
- Field interpreter guide
- Guided tour of Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park including the volcanic sulfur banks, Jaggar Museum, Crater Rim Drive, Mauna Ulu Lava Field and Nahuku (Thurston) Lava Tube
- Brochures and pamphlets on Hawaiian Volcanoes
- Witness steam vents and magnificent crater rim views
One of the world’s most dramatic landscapes in the world, Hawai`i Volcanoes National Park is both a powerful geological site as well as a deeply spiritual experience.
Pele is the Goddess of Hawaii’s Volcanoes and you can feel her presence as you traverse the volcano and reflect on the powerful and historic eruptions of the past. Your University Field Interpreter will guide you through the extraordinary geology of the Volcano’s lava flows, craters, sulfur banks, steam vents and dramatic lava tubes. On the walking tour of mesic rainforest you’ll observe Hawaii’s unique endemic birds and plant species. This will be an unforgettable trip as your explore the diverse environment and the inspiring and dramatic vistas.
08:15 am Depart for Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park 10:45 am Hawai‘i Volcanoes National ParkKilauea Visitors Center
• Sulfur Banks & Steam Bluffs
• Picnic lunch
• Jaggar Museum
• Mauna Ulu Lava Field
• Nahuku (Lava Tube)
03:00 pm Depart back to hotel 06:00 pm Approximate arrival at hotel
Click here to register for the optional mid-conference field trip now!